Settling the Carpet vs. Hardwood Floor Debate for Your Home
- Written by Phillip Anderson
- Category: Blog
Flooring greatly impacts a space’s design and function, and the right material can make or break your interior design. So, it’s crucial to invest in something that complements your home’s style and reflects your personal taste.
Homeowners have many flooring options to choose from, but the most popular of them are hardwood and carpet. Both have unique features that can be an advantage over the other.
There are some things to consider if you want to settle the carpet vs. hardwood floor debate. To help you decide what to get, here are some things to think about:
- Appearance – Hardwood flooring can give your home a timeless and elegant look that can increase your house’s aesthetics. Carpeting, on the other hand, may come in various patterns, materials, colors, and designs to suit your tastes.
- Durability – Carpeting typically lasts around five to 15 years, depending on the foot traffic it experiences. Meanwhile, hardwood flooring can endure for decades, especially if it’s properly maintained. However, some wood types are more prone to denting and scratching due to their nature.
- Maintenance – Hardwood maintenance involves sweeping and polishing from time to time. For carpets, regular vacuuming is a must, with a professional deep cleaning every 12 to 18 months to ensure it lasts.
- Price – Although hardwood floors are highly valued for their characteristics, their installation often costs thousands of dollars. This price fluctuates depending on the size of the room and the wood material. On the other hand, although carpets will be replaced more frequently, their initial installation is considerably less expensive.
- Comfort – The fibers of carpet flooring are softer on your feet, making it less taxing to stand on them for prolonged periods. They’re also perfect for those living in colder climates since carpeting retains heat well. Meanwhile, hardwood is not as giving and can be tiring to stand on, especially if you have joint issues.
Which Should You Get?
If you need something that has a more elegant appearance and better resale value, then hardwood may be the best choice. Meanwhile, you can go for carpets if you want to ensure maximum comfort while staying within budget.
Extend the Life of Your Carpet
If opt for carpeted flooring, know that professional carpet cleaning is essential for maintaining and preserving the beauty and longevity of your carpets. While regular vacuuming can remove dirt and debris from the surface, it's not enough to get rid of the deeper contaminants that accumulate over time.
Professional carpet cleaning uses advanced equipment and cleaning solutions that target deep-seated dirt, dust mites, pet dander, and other allergens. Additionally, it can keep your carpets looking and feeling fresh, making them more durable and reducing the need for replacement.
Contact us today at Brasure’s Carpet Care for a carpet cleaning expert you can trust. Since 1983, our team has had an unparalleled reputation in the industry. Talk to us today to learn more about our services.